Thursday, January 9, 2014

I have to get something off my chest



Clearly, I love bourbon. I've *missed* writing about it over winter break, but alas, it was a busy time around here. Back to it. And it's just in time, because I have to get something off my chest.

As a bourbon lover and friend of Dominic, the amazing Tippins Market guy, I've joined several Facebook groups whose purpose is to discuss bourbons and other whiskeys. Most of the folks in the groups are great; they are very knowledgeable and readily share their experiences, likes, dislikes, and are in the groups to meet other bourbon obsessed people. Lots of the people are members of several of the groups, as I am. These groups have been a fantastic way for me to learn, as a relatively new bourbonista. However, there are a couple of irritating sorts and one kind of poster in particular bugs me. This guy:

I know the right way to own bourbon. You are not doing it the way I would, so you are violating the rules and I will make you pay.

A guy in one of these groups posted a pic of a bottle he was really excited to own, but felt a bit intimidated drinking it, since it's a sought after bottle. He thought it was disrespectful to not drink it. I told him to do what he wanted. It's HIS. I'm also of the opinion that you cannot disrespect a bottle of liquor. It doesn't care. 

Several people were teasing and saying to sell it to them, or that they'd come help him decide. Then one jerk pipes up and tells him that he didn't have any business owning the bottle if he didn't know what to do with it, basically. Really? 

Now, I also am of the mind that there is no reason to hoard and stockpile liquor. I have a few bottles I am really excited about in my house and a couple that are pretty rare. The rare ones? They're opened. But that's just me. There are plenty of people who collect. Just because I don't understand collecting anything doesn't mean those people aren't allowed to do it. Goodness.

It's not so much the "should I drink it or not" problem that bothers me. It's that the "you have no business owning that" guy thinks he is some kind of bourbon authority and that he sets the rules. Sorry, there are no rules.

Enjoy your bourbon how you like. If you want to add ginger ale to your very rare bourbon, go ahead. It seems fairly obvious to me that the makers of these fine spirits want the owner to enjoy them. So go ahead and do it your way.

(Please do not tell me if you add ginger ale to your very rare bourbon. I might cry. But if you liked it, good for you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment