Saturday, December 7, 2013

Bourbon Girl Jane

I met a new bourbon girl. I love bourbon girls!

She's awesome. We were at a holiday party and not only did I get the chance to chat with her before dinner, I actually got to sit NEXT TO her during dinner. Totally made my night.

So, I'll call her Jane, since I didn't really clear it with her that she would be the subject of this post. We spent most of the night chatting about whiskey, bourbon, the bourbon trail, you know, bourbon girl things. While we were talking,  I couldn't help but think about the many women I know who enjoy this delicious spirit. Somehow, this had escaped my attention before becoming a bourbon lover myself. I thought whiskey was for men, or for people from Kentucky. It seemed so...hardcore or something. Turns out, it's obviously hardcore, but so are a lot of women I know!

I mentioned this to Jane, my new girlfriend, and she remarked, "You know how men are always saying they should 'get women to like whiskey'? Well, we DO. It's GOOD. We know this!" And I swooned a little and then thought, of course she's right. Perhaps it's time to make the announcement:

Women love bourbon! We really do!

After talking with Jane, and hearing back from some friends who haven't ever tried bourbon, I've decided I could use this blog, in part, to get some new people to try it - men and women. It seems to me the reluctance to do so comes from thinking it's going to be harsh. So, I suggest starting with a whiskey cocktail. My first bourbon was Maker's Mark, which is on the sweet side, in an old fashioned. Oh, was it good! It's basically a bourbon or rye with sugar or simple syrup and bitters. The first one I had was in a sugar-rimmed glass. It was basically a dessert. A very delicious dessert.

From there, I tried Maker's Mark on the rocks. The ice melted, of course, and took the proof down as I drank it. Like I said, Maker's is pretty sweet and low in proof (90) in comparison to other bourbons, so it is quite smooth. Very easy to drink. Give it a try if you're new to whiskey and let me know what you think! I'll tell you how I went from there to my current barrel proof loving self. Neat, of course.

Until next time - Cheers! And thank you, Jane, for being my new best bourbon girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment