Monday, December 2, 2013

I'm a whiskey girl. Who knew?

Cheers!


As it turns out, I'm a whiskey girl. 

I'm a 40 year old mom who is kind of short, and not at all physically intimidating, but I like my bourbon neat. Barrel proof if possible.


Sure, I've tried the usual "girl" drinks: cosmopolitans, vodka + soda, wine, lots of wine. But there is just something about a woman drinking whiskey that is badass. It isn't sugary sweet, it isn't silly, and it isn't pretentious, at least not the way I do it. 

While I enjoy Irish whiskey, Scotch, and other American whiskeys, I prefer bourbon. Tonight I'm enjoying Old Weller Antique 107. It's a "cherry bomb" as my friend, Dominic, the liquor store guy, says. Up front is a huge cherry sundae flavor, so it is sweet, but then it explodes into a hot finish, which is fantastic - no sugary stuff here. 

If I am out drinking bourbon socially, oftentimes people don't expect me to know much about it, and truth be told, I'm a newbie bourbon girl, but I do know *some* things. Please do not argue with me that Jack Daniels is a bourbon - it is not. Please do not tell me all bourbon comes from Kentucky - that is not true, though I do tend to enjoy Kentucky bourbons best. Don't try telling me what sort of barrels it is distilled in, or that the mash is mainly wheat or what a blend is. I will argue with you and you'll end up looking silly. Did I mention I'm also a lawyer? I love to argue. I'll do it all day. Smiling, with my bourbon in hand. 

So here I am, a whiskey girl. And so far, I'm loving it.





1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading more of your love of bourbon! Write on!

    ReplyDelete