Sunday, December 8, 2013

Woodford Double Oaked



Last night I tried something I've been curious about for a while, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Here's what I thought . . .

It was ok. 

I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't more WOW! I thought it would be more special, I suppose, considering the extra aging and extra dollars. 

Anyhow, it smelled fantastic: very creamy and vanilla. At first taste, it lived up to my expectations: super oaky and smooth. But then it got kind of spicy and I didn't enjoy the finish as much as I wanted to. 

Woodford Reserve, the standard version, is a very nice bourbon. It isn't exactly remarkable except for its drinkability. I usually describe it as a "nice, standard bourbon," perfect for everyday drinking. I enjoy it. It isn't too sweet or too hot - it's smooth and "just right".

The Double Oaked tasted, well, like standard Woodford Reserve, with extra oak (yay!) but extra burn (boo!). Given a choice, I would stick with the standard Woodford Reserve. 

Here is a review I agree with: WR Double Oaked Review.  I certainly didn't pick up all of the flavors this person did; my palate isn't that sophisticated. But the overall opinion in the review sums up my thoughts on it, too. 

I wouldn't suggest skipping it altogether, but I will pass on buying a bottle.

P.S. Did you figure out what the green stuff on my pizza is? Brussels sprouts!! Amazing. Seriously - very very good.

2 comments:

  1. I just tried the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and had almost the same reaction. I'll stick with the standard Woodford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading that some folks are loving it. Good for them. If the price were lower, I wouldn't have expected it to be SO wow.

      Delete